Healthier Baked Penne with Turkey Meat Sauce
This is my version of a healthier pasta; farro whole grain pasta, just a touch of cheese and a ton of “hidden veggies.” I use my Hidden Veggies Tomato Sauce as the base for my meat sauce – it makes me feel way better about indulging in the pasta because it is full of extra vegetables.
This meal is great because it can feed a small army. I don’t have many mouths to feed around here, but this recipe will feed me and my best friend for about 3 days. In the photos you can see that I paired it with green beans (sautéed in ghee with salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice), but really any veggie will make a great side. Tonight I’ll actually be serving it with the left over green beans and a side of roasted butternut squash.
Obviously, the meal wouldn’t be complete without a big glass of wine. So what the heck, why don’t you pour yourself a big glass now while you cook. ; )
Okay, so let’s get cooking!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups Hidden Veggies Tomato Sauce or regular tomato sauce (I guess…)
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced or diced
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) penne pasta (or noodle of choice)
- 1 TBSP oil (I prefer olive oil or avocado)
- 2 TBSP ghee (or butter)
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1 TSP chili flakes
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt + petter to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Meat sauce:
- Brown ground turkey in a hot pan in 1 TBSP of oil, over medium high heat. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add Hidden Veggies Tomato Sauce or regular tomato sauce to pan (medium heat) with ghee (or butter), tomatoes and garlic. Allow sauce to simmer for 5 minutes, then add the browned turkey to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-low, add the spices, and cook for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to the label instructions.
- Combine pasta and meat sauce in to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle parmesan on top
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle fresh parsley across the top.
*This is a great prep-ahead meal. If you’re planning for a party or dinner for the next night, refrigerate the pasta/meat mixture, and then heat in the oven when you’re ready to serve!
Happy munching : )