1 Ingredient Grape Fruit Leather
September 30, 2017
Last week my Hungry Harvest* delivery included a bag of green grapes that were recovered as “surplus” from a grocery store, distributor or farmer. I usually love to eat whole grapes as a snack throughout that day, but unfortunately these grapes were a little too sour for my liking. I hit the web to see if I could find any inspiration for transforming the grapes into something a bit tastier. Turns out you can use grapes in a lot of things – they’re apparently super tasty in chicken salad.
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you and I will each receive $5 off of our next Hungry Harvest order! Don’t know what Hungry Harvest is? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
I already have a chicken salad recipe that I love, so I passed on that idea. Then I remembered that I’ve been wanting to try making fruit “leather” aka fruit roll ups. Typically the recipes I have seen use a variety of fruits and added sugar. But all I have to work with is a bag of grapes, so that’s all that’s in this recipe. Turns out that’s really all you need to make fruit leather – just fruit!
At first I thought it might be a good idea to add some honey into the mix since the grapes were sort of sour, but I’m glad I decided against it. The natural sweetness of the grapes was amplified in the oven, giving them a perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
This snack is really so easy to make and it’s a great way to use up fruits that have seen better days. It’s also a snack you can feel good about eating – it’s just grapes! No weird preservatives or added sugar.
- 1 lb grapes
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove grapes from stems and transfer into a blender.
- Blend grapes until smooth.
- Transfer grape mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure the mixture is spread EVENLY across the pan.
- Bake for about 3 – 3.5 hours. The leather is done when the mixture is dry to the touch but still soft. You’ll want to start checking on it after 2.5 hours – everyone’s oven is a little bit different.
- Remove from the oven to cool, then slice.
Happy Snacking : )