Holy cow, guys. Just looking at that picture has my mouth WATERING. This meal is so friggin’ delicious and hardly takes any time to make! In fact, I’ve made it twice this week.
My Hungry Harvest* delivery was packed full of awesomeness this week and included a whole pineapple! It also included tomatoes, lettuce, and onions – all the fixings to make pineapple salsa (with the addition of cilantro from my herb window-garden at home).
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you and I will each receive $5 off of our next Hungry Harvest order! Don’t know what Hungry Harvest is? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
When I think of pineapple salsa, I think of fish. Lucky for me, Whole Foods had some beautiful, fresh salmon on SALE. The pineapple salsa Gods must be on my side this week.
Salmon and pineapple make a super flavorful combination, and the crispy skin on the salmon provides a great contrast in texture against the softness of the fish and salsa. My recipe is simple, fast and is super good for you. It also takes no time at all to prepare – making it a great option for an easy weeknight dinner. *Blackening the salmon would also be a tasty spin!*
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 salmon fillet with skin
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/3 cup tomato, diced (~1 roma tomato)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tsp cilantro, chopped
- Lettuce, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat cast iron skillet (or skillet of choice) over medium to medium-high heat.
- While the skillet heats, pat the skin side of the salmon filet dry with a paper towel and season with salt & pepper.
- Once the skillet is hot, add enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Place salmon skin-side down in the center of the pan. Let cook for 5-6 minutes. Do not touch it or move it during this time – this is when it gets crispy!
- After 5-6 minutes, flip the salmon over, reduce the heat, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- While the salmon cooks, chop the pineapple, onion, tomato and cilantro, and combine.
- TO SERVE:
- Place lettuce greens on the serving dish.
- Place salmon, skin-side up, on the greens.
- Top with salsa.
Happy munching! : )