Crispy Skin Salmon with Bok Choy and Zucchini
Crispy skin salmon has been my jam lately. The crispy crunch of the skin against the delicate softness of the fish is just so mouth-watering, I can’t get enough. My coworkers look at me with disgust when I tell them that I’ve been eating the salmon skin, just like the look you’re probably giving your computer right now. But I’m telling you – it’s delicious. Throw away all those memories of icky, slimy, chewy fish skin and give this a shot!
Last week, my Hungry Harvest* delivery was packed full of awesomeness and included all the fixin’s for pineapple salsa, and Crispy Skin Salmon with Pineapple Salsa was born. This week’s box included one of my all-time favorite veggies – bok choy. It’s not a common item in my Harvest deliveries, so it is always a welcome treat!
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you and I will each receive $5 off of our next Hungry Harvest order! Never heard of Hungry Harvest? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
The first thing that came to mind when I opened the box and saw the bok choy was crispy skin salmon. I’m a big fan of using what I have on hand instead of going to the grocery store to get items for a specific recipe, and lucky for me I also happened to have zucchini, green onions, and lemon on hand! Everything I needed to make this dish.
Look at the beautiful bok choy. It looks like a spinach-celery hybrid, but better than celery could ever be, no matter how much peanut butter you slather on it. Anyway, this meal is simple to make and Whole30 compliant. Guilt free and super tasty – a winning combination. It also comes together quickly and doesn’t leave a big mess behind.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 salmon fillet with skin
- 2 large bok choy leaves
- 1/2 zucchini
- 2 green onions/scallions
- Salt & pepper, chili flakes, to taste
- Olive oil, ghee
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest; juice of one wedge
- Heat cast-iron skillet (or skillet of choice) over medium to medium-high heat.
- While the skillet heats:
- Chop the bok choy + green onion as pictured above; chop the zucchini into crescent moons.
- Pat the skin side of the salmon filet dry with a paper towel and season with salt & pepper.
- Once the skillet is hot, add enough olive oil and ghee to lightly coat the pan.
- Sauté the veggies for about 5 minutes, then push to the edges of the pan to make room for the salmon. If you want a little heat, this is the time to add a dash or two of chili flakes!
- Place salmon skin-side down in the center of the pan. Let cook for 5-6 minutes. Do not touch it or move it during this time – this is when it gets crispy!
- Occasionally stir the veggies while the salmon cooks to ensure that they cook evenly.
- After 5-6 minutes, flip the salmon over, reduce the heat, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Sprinkle the dish with lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve!
Happy munching! : )
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤