Simple Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Fall is my favorite seasons for many reasons, one being that a local farm close to my home offers awesome pick-your-own fruits and veggies this time of year. This isn’t your average pumpkin patch or apple orchard. It has EVERYTHING. Several apple varieties, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beets, swiss chard, pumpkins – you name it!
I love that they offer such a variety of local veggies, and it’s such a lovely way to spend a fall day outdoors. Of course, every time I visit I get carried away and take much more food than I know what to do with. This year I controlled myself pretty well, and only ended up over-harvesting beets. Luckily those will last a while in the fridge.
The beets and spinach were grown in the same field, and as I was harvesting them I began to think about how I would incorporate them into my meals this week. Then it donned on me – a beet and goat cheese salad! You know, like one of those fancy salads you would find at a restaurant. Now, you definitely do not need to go to a pick-your-own farm to make this salad. Everything you need can be purchased from the grocery store, and you can even purchase the beets pre-cooked. I chose to dress my salad with home-made balsamic vinaigrette, but anything would work!
Fancy restaurant salads usually have fancy toppings on them, right? Toppings like sunflower seeds, dried fruit or fresh berries. Well, I had that covered. Thanks to the chicken salad recipe (Cranberry Nut Chicken Salad) I made last week, I had a whole bin of mixed nuts, seeds and dried cranberries to work with. I really like the mix Trader Joe’s offers. It has walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. I find buying a mix in bulk is much cheaper than buying the individual components separately. Click the image below to shop!
I realize that I am not the first genius to put together a beet and goat cheese salad, but this is my spin on this delicious combination. I ate this salad for 4 days in a row and enjoyed every bite! The serving size listed below is set to 2-4 servings as this salad could be served as a meal or as a side, depending on your mood. Please let me know your thoughts on this recipe in the comments below!
Ingredients (2-4 servings):
- 6oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 large beet, roasted, diced
- 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
- goat cheese
- mixed nuts
- dried cranberries
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- store bought, OR
- 1 TBSP olive oil + 1 TBSP balsamic vinaigrette
- Roughly chop spinach, broccoli and nuts, set aside.
- Dice beets* into medium chunks, set aside.
- Assembly: Layer ingredients into your bowl or serving dish. First add the spinach, then top with broccoli and beets.
- Dressing: Combine oil and vinaigrette in a small cup or container, mix well.
- To serve: Toss veggies with dressing, then garnish with nuts, seeds, berries and goat cheese.
- *BEETS: If using fresh beets, you’ll need to cook ’em!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap beets in tinfoil and roast for 40+ minutes, until fork tender.
- Let cool, peel away skin, and dice.
Happy Munching : )
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤