Ham, Mushroom & Spinach Egg Cups
The past few weeks have been absolutely hectic for me. First I started a new job, in addition to my full time job and this blog. Juggling all three is proving to be a challenge. To make my life even crazier, my boyfriend also came home from his six-month deployment last week! So we have been busy getting him settled in and getting back into our groove. A few days after he arrived to Maryland, we had a new roommate move in up stairs. He had been receiving his food from a paleo meal service while living in another state, and asked if I’d be interested in meal prepping for him. Obviously I said YES, with out hesitation.
After I said yes, reality set in and I remembered that I have two jobs, a blog, a boyfriend who now lives in the same house as me again, and now two extra mouths to feed. Talk about overwhelming! If meal prepping wasn’t already a necessity for me and my healthy eating quest, it sure is now. That’s where these Egg Cups come into play.
Fancy looking, right? I’m super pumped on this new creation of mine. They are really appealing to look at, are simple to make, and are a nice change of pace from my weekly frittatas. All you need is a silicone or metal muffin tray and a couple of simple ingredients. Like frittatas, egg cups are easy to make in large quantities, and that’s important when you need to prep a handful of breakfasts for 3 people!
Before we move on, lets hit pause and talk about some frittata recipes for a second. If you’re needing some recipes to mix up your frittata game, check out my two favorite recipes: Cholula Chicken Frittata and Veggie-Dump Frittata!
Ok back to the Egg Cups. This particular recipe calls for specific veggies (spinach and mushroom), ham, and eggs (duh). While this combination is a delicious mix, I can think of about a million other combinations that would be tasty too. Try mixing up the ingredients with what you have on hand, or mix and match the cups to bring some variety to your breakfasts!
These cups can be as healthy or unhealthy as you please. However, this recipe is full of goodness and is just shy of being Whole30 compliant, as the ham I use has the tiniest smidge of added sugar. I use Applegate Farm’s Slow Cooked Ham most often. Even though the sugar prevents it from being Whole30 compliant, it doesn’t contain any chemicals or other icky ingredients. If you know of any Whole30 compliant deli meats, please share in the comments below. : )
Over the weekend I served these bad boys with some roasted breakfast potatoes and salmon bacon. I didn’t know that salmon bacon was a thing, but it is, and it’s way to expensive for how mediocre it tastes. Don’t buy it. Anyway, keep on scrolling to for the Egg Cup recipe!
Ingredients (12 egg cups/6 servings):
- 11 eggs
- 12 slices deli meat
- 1/2 package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 TBSP chili flakes
- 1 TSP onion powder
- 1 TSP garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms in a skillet over medium heat, set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with the spices listed above until the yolks and whites are combined.
- Lightly grease muffin tray or line the tray with paper liners.
- Place 1 slice of deli meat in each muffin cup. It is okay if the edges of the meat over flow from the indentation. As the Egg Cups cook the meat will decrease in size and crisp up. Try to avoid tearing the meat to prevent the egg from leaking out. However, if it leaks, no biggie.
- Place 4-5 spinach leaves in each cup and top with sautéed mushrooms.
- Fill each cup with the egg mixture.
- Place the muffin tray on the middle rack of the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until the eggs are set (no longer jiggly).
- Remove from oven, let cool and remove from tin.
To reheat simply microwave for ~1 minute.
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤