I can’t believe I’m actually saying this… but I think I have kicked the habit! I don’t crave cream cheese bagels for breakfast anymore! I never thought the day would come. While I don’t crave those additive, delicious jerks anymore, I unfortunately still eat them when I’m unprepared in the morning – but I don’t enjoy them nearly as much as I once did. I’d call that progress.
Usually I’ll prep a giant frittata or large hash at the start of the week to avoid going bagel town. But sometimes life gets in the way and I don’t have the time to prep, and to bagel town I go. In effort to decrease my trips to bagel town, I’ve started prepping breakfast back ups, similar to my lunch time backup Turkey and Black Bean freezer burritos. They have been a total lifesaver. I’ll prep a bunch at a time and store them in the freezer until I need them, and they only take 3 minutes to reheat! So now instead of eating a bagel after I run out of frittatas, I have a healthy, nutritious breakfast burrito waiting for me in the freezer.
Sure, there are plenty of breakfast options that you can purchase from the freezer isle at the grocery store, but I really love having total control over the ingredients I consume (and don’t consume). This particular recipe is simple and nutritious – wheat tortillas, sweet potatoes, spinach, bacon, and eggs – that’s it! You could also amp it up with a little bit of cheese and maybe some Primal Kitchen’s mayo.
Making burritos for the freezer is also a great way to use up produce before they turn. I subscribe to Hungry Harvest, which is a produce service that sources unwanted fruits and veggies before they hit the trashcan. Sometimes I accumulate too much produce in the fridge, and making freezer staples is a big help!
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you and I will each receive $5 off of our next Hungry Harvest order! Never heard of Hungry Harvest? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
Ingredients (6 burritos):
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 6 strips bacon, cooked
- 6 soft “taco” tortillas (wheat)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke raw, whole sweet potatoes with a fork a few times. Place the potatoes on a pan and bake for roughly 40 minutes, until fork tender. Once soft, remove from the oven to cool. Cut in half, scoop the flesh away from the skin and mash.
- Cook bacon on stove top or in the oven. Scramble eggs.
- To assemble, layer ingredients in a tortilla and roll up into a burrito.
- Wrap the burrito in tinfoil, label, and store in the freezer for up to a month.
- To reheat: remove tinfoil, wrap in damp paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes. Unwrap and let cool 1 min.
Happy munching! : )
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤