Brussels sprouts for breakfast? …Hell yea! Some people raise their eyebrow a bit when I say that I love to eat brussels sprouts (and other green veggies) for breakfast, and that’s okay. I know it seems a little weird. But I am telling you now, green veggies most certainly belong in your breakfast! It’s the most important meal of the day, after all. So why not start the day with a meal loaded with nutrients instead of a greasy, fatty breakfast sandwich?
Thinly slicing brussels sprouts and pan frying them has become my new favorite way to prepare those delicious mini cabbages. It switches things up from the normal roasted brussels sprouts and cuts the cooking time down significantly. This is especially great for breakfast when time is of the essence. But please, don’t limit your shaved sprouts usage to breakfast – they are perfect in any meal, any time of the day.
You can find pre-sliced brussels at most grocery stores, or you can slice them up at home. Recently, my Hungry Harvest* deliveries have included tons of brussels sprouts, so I’ve been slicing up a storm here at home. Thank you Hungry Harvest!
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you and I will each receive $5 off of our next Hungry Harvest order! Never heard of Hungry Harvest? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
So what makes this breakfast bowl spicy, you ask? Primal Kitchen’s Chipotle Lime Mayo! That stuff is seriously like crack. It is so good, and Whole30 compliant. Smothering your brussels sprout breakfast bowl in mayonnaise might sound a little weird, but trust me, it’s delicious. It creates such a creamy texture and adds so much flavor.
Spicy Brussels Breakfast Bowl
A creamy, filling and delicious breakfast option for your Whole30 or everyday!
- 1 chicken breast (shredded)
- 2 cups brussels sprouts (shaved)
- 3/4 cup carrots (thinly sliced)
- 2 TBSP Chipotle Lime Mayo (Primal Kitchen's )
- 1-2 eggs (per serving)
- Chili flakes (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 TBSP oil (olive or avocado)
- Preheat stove-top skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, add oil to the pan, then toss in the shaved brussels and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally to cook the veggies evenly. Stirring too often will prevent the veggies from crisping up. Pan fry the veggies until cooked through and browned, about 5-10 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken to the veggies just before the veggies are finished cooking to heat the chicken through. Adding the chicken too early in the cooking process may cause it to dry it out.
- Remove veggies from heat. Cook eggs to preference.
- While the eggs cook, transfer the veggies on to the serving plates.
- The mayo can be served as a dollop on the side or mixed in with the veggies.
To serve: Top the veggies with the cooked eggs and sprinkle with chili flakes.
- Brussels sprouts can be purchased from the store pre-sliced.
- Leftover chicken breast or rotisserie chicken are great options for this meal.
- Chop your veggies in advance to make this a quick weekday breakfast option.
- Need more healthy breakfast inspiration? Check out the recipes below!
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤