One Pan Lemon Cod with Brussels Sprouts and Kale (Whole30 compliant)
One Pan Lemon Cod with Brussels Sprouts and Kale is a simple, easy and healthy meal option for a quick weeknight meal. Depending on how fast you chop, this dish can be made in as little as 20 minutes! That’s my kind of weeknight meal.
I don’t know about you, but I am still playing catch up from the Holidays. The endless river of incoming pastries and chocolates is flowing a little slower now at the office, but I’m still fighting cravings for holiday sweets and hearty (cheesy and indulgent) dishes. Having quick, simple and delicious recipes in my back pocket is definitely helping me get back on track!
This recipe is Whole30 compliant, so if you’re on the January (or anytime) Whole30 this is a great option for you. Though you don’t have to be on a round of Whole30 to enjoy this yummy meal for lunch or dinner.
As always, my Hungry Harvest* delivery was packed full of beautiful veggies this week, and had my (current) favorite vegetable – brussels sprouts! If you haven’t eaten shaved, pan-fried brussels yet you are totally missing out. They are great in this recipe or even for breakfast.
*The link above is a referral, and if you click it and order, you will receive $5 off of your first Hungry Harvest order! Never heard of Hungry Harvest? Check out my post: 5 Reasons I Love Hungry Harvest
Ingredients (Serves 1):
- 1 cod fillet
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, shaved or chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 TBSP ghee
- 4 lemon wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using whole brussels sprouts and kale leaves, finely chop or shave the sprouts and tear the leaves of the kale into small pieces.
- Season each side of cod with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 TBSP ghee, preferably in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add brussels sprouts to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the kale and two lemon wedges. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes or until the sprouts start to brown and soften.
- Using a spatula, push the sprouts and kale to the sides of the pan to create an open area in the center of the pan, occasionally stirring throughout the rest of the cooking process.
- In the center of the pan, add 1/2 a TBSP of ghee and add the fish to the pan. Place 2 fresh lemon wedges on either side of the fish. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the fish from the pan briefly to add the rest of the ghee, then return the fish to the pan to cook on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Transfer veggies to the serving dish and top with the fish. Squeeze one of the lemon wedges over top the dish and serve.
- If you don’t have cod, have no fear! Several fish varieties, such as salmon or tilapia, would be tasty as well.
- Don’t forget to stir the veggies occasionally to help the cook evenly, about every 3 minutes. Stirring too frequently will prevent those yummy brown edges from developing, though.
- The cooking time of your fish with depend on the thickness of the cut; thinner pieces will take less time than thicker pieces.
- If you like this recipe, you might like some of my other simple fish dishes:
Happy Munching : )
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤