Spicy Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
Tacos, burritos, frittatas, breakfast hash, plain on a fork – these are just a few of the ways you can enjoy this delicious barbacoa beef. The best part? It takes about 2 minutes to prepare for the slow cooker and is cooked to perfection after a few hours. It’s also Whole30 compliant! For a delicious and satisfying Whole30 meal, throw this goodness in a lettuce leaf for a compliant taco or in a cheese-less frittata with veggies for breakfast.
This recipe is great for a variety of occasions. Cook it up on a Sunday afternoon to use in meals for the week ahead or use the whole batch to serve friends and family for taco night. Just last week I used this recipe to serve some friends on taco night, and this week I used it as meal prep for breakfast and lunch meat – I was able to stretch it into 7 meals!
Aren’t the pictures just so pretty? It tastes just as good as it looks, I promise. I really love how easy this recipe is to make. I use a dry rub of a combination of spices and some fresh garlic to coat each side of the meat and that’s it! As the meat cooks in the slow cooker it releases a bunch of delicious juices to cook in, so there’s no need to add any stock or water into the mix. Other than the meat, spices and garlic, the only other ingredient you’ll need is the juice of a fresh lime. So, are you ready to learn how to make it yet?! Okay, okay, I’ll tell you. Just keep scrolling!
- 1.5 – 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP onion powder
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a bowl, combine spices and minced garlic
- Rub spice mixture onto all sides of the meat
- Place meat in slow cooker and cook until tender
- 3-4 hours on high, or
- 6-8 hours on low
- Once meat is tender, remove the meat from the juices
- Using a fork, shred the meat, and then return to the juice and add fresh lime juice
- For a crispy and flavorful touch, lightly fry the shredded meat on the stove top before serving.
- This recipe is spicy! Cut the cayenne in half if you can’t handle the heat.
*I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤