It’s that time of year again! You know, when the holidays are fast approaching and you’re stressing out, broke, and running out of time? Yeah, that time. If you’re like me, you have lots of lovely people in your life that you’d love to give a holiday gift to, but you also have… no money.
Spoiler alert: If you know me, it’s likely you’ll be receiving this as one of your holiday gifts this year. Surprise!
Last year, a colleague of mine made Mexican hot chocolate mix for the office. Smart, right? Cocoa powder and mason jars are inexpensive, which makes this gift easy to make for loads of people. I thought it was such a great idea that I’ve made my own spin on it this year. Instead of making a spicy variety of hot cocoa, I’ve gone ahead and added my favorite holiday flavor to the mix – peppermint mocha!
Using real candy canes was a lot of fun. I wasn’t able to find fine-ground peppermints/candy canes at the store, so I ended up buying a bunch of giant candy canes from the store and blending them up in a blender. My best guess is that you’ll probably need to do the same. I’ve included photo links to Amazon below for the main items you will need. I also decorated each jar with a pretty red ribbon.
Candy Cane Cocoa Mix
A simple and easy holiday gift!
- 6 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5.5 cups crushed peppermint candy
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 12 1/2 pint mason jars
- 2 yards ribbon (cut in 14.5 inch pieces)
- To crush candy canes or peppermint patties: break candy canes into pieces and transfer to blender. Pulse blender until candies are crushed into a powder.
- In a large bowl, add 6 cups cocoa powder, 2 cups sugar, and 4.5 cups crushed peppermints. Reserve 1 cup peppermints for later. Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Evenly distribute the cocoa mix into 12 1/2 pint mason jars.
- Use remaining 1 cup peppermints to top the cocoa mix.
- Place the lids on the jars, seal tightly.
- Wrap ribbon around each jar, tie in knot or bow.
- Serving instructions: add 2 spoonfuls to hot milk of choice & stir.
- Voila! Now you have 12 beautiful and simple gifts to give for the holidays.
**I am a Hungry Harvest and Amazon affiliate. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase something from one of the links above, I will receive a small percentage, at no additional cost to you. I will only ever recommend products that I use myself and totally approve of. Thank you! ❤